Ladies Finger for Weight Loss and Health
Lady’s Finger is well known vegetable which is commonly known as Bhindi all over India. The other name for this Bhindi was Okra. It is a cheap and simply found vegetable in market consisting of vitamins, minerals, dietary fibers and other healthy nutrients. It is widely cultivated in tropical, subtropical and other warm regions of the world. Some people like it eating raw as it tastes good. The dietary fiber content of okra is known to be high and hence many health specialists recommended it for digestive benefits. Bhindi is an amazing nourishing green vegetable which has much more beneficial in weight management, cholesterol and blood sugar level regulation etc.
100 grams of Okra contains 1.5% energy from calories, 7.03 gram carbohydrates, 2 gram protein, 0.1 gram fat and 9% fiber. Such fiber content can prove to be very beneficial for the body. Other nutrients are folates 88mg, niacin 1mg, Vitamin C 21.1mg, Vitamin E 0.36mg and Vitamin K 53mg. Other than these, Okra also contains calcium 81mg, copper 0.094mg, iron 0.8mg, magnesium 57mg, manganese 0.99mg, phosphorous 63mg and zinc 0.6 mg.
How to select good quality Okra/ Bhindi
Use of okra will be very beneficial to health. Most of us were left clueless when questioned about how to select good okra.
- Small Pods: It is better to choose small pods as they taste better than big ones
- Bright color: Go for bright green-colored pods. You can also find different varieties of burgundy or deep red. Those were also used for cooking purpose but green ones are widely used.
- Flawless pods: While selecting okra, try and look for unblemished ones. These are fresh and are not rotten from inside.
- Firmness – Check for the firmness of okra. While the smaller pods are generally tender, they should not be very soft.
Benefits of Lady’s Finger for Weight Loss and Health
People who are trying to get their weight loss can have ladies finger. Okra is having high dietary fiber content so that many health specialists recommended using it for digestive benefits. Lady finger contains acts as medicine for Gastric ulcer, Diarrhea and motions. It contains sticky item (mucilage) acts as a replacement for plasma. It is good for women for all types of diseases
The vegetable is extremely low calories with 100g serving contain just 33 calories. With regular usage of okra, either raw or cooked form, you can avoid obesity to a great extent. Obesity is not necessarily due to consumption of fatty and calorific foods but also due to lack of nutrients. This vegetable will absorb less cholesterol which prevents heart diseases and ailments occurring due to cholesterol in the blood. Cholesterol is a dominant factor in the body that triggers obesity and heart diseases.
Weight loss: The low calorie of Okra and high fiber content make it suitable for weight loss. It provides minimum calories and its high fiber levels help in keeping you full for longer.
Heart Disease: A soluble fiber Pectin is present in Okra which helps in lowering bad cholesterol and prevents atherosclerosis which eliminates deposition of cholesterol and clots
Controls blood sugar levels: The advantage of lady’s finger may be credited to its fiber content. Eugenol a kind of fiber, aides in backing off processing and ingestion of sugar from the circulatory system. Henceforth it helps in maintaining a strategic distance from sugar spikes after supper and balances out the glucose levels. Its fiber further aides in bringing down glucose levels.
Improves digestion: The fiber substance of lady’s finger helps in better assimilation, and regularization of bowels. Pectin swells up in the digestive tract and aides in less demanding end of waste from the digestive tract.
Improves immunity: An alternate essential advantage of Lady’s finger is that it contains Vitamin C which helps in enhancing safety.
It helps in improving the memory level by regulating the mental functions as it contains folate which plays great role in producing some important compounds required for brain functioning.
It helps in strengthening bones by increasing bone density and preventing from age related bone problems like osteoporosis, arthritis and etc.
Nutritional Value of Raw Lady’s Finger/Okra/Bhindi
(Source: USDA Nutrient Database)
|Dietary fibres||3.2 g|
|Pantothenic acid||0.245 mg|
|Vitamin C||21.1 mg|
|Vitamin A||375 IU|
|Vitamin E||0.36 mg|
|Vitamin K||53 µg|
- Before cooking, thoroughly wash and rinse whole okra well with water.
- After washing, pat it dry completely, using a dry towel.
- You can then store it in a zip-lock bag and leave it overnight in the fridge before using it next day. This will make it less slimy while cooking. This will make okra freeze solid.
- Add okra immediately to your dish after taking it out from the refrigerator. You can use it as whole or chopped.
- Always trim the ends before adding it to your dish.
- Don’t allow it to thaw to avoid it from sliming out.